The ultimate guide to help you brush and floss while wearing braces.
Having good oral hygiene is important for everyone but when you have braces, it’s even more critical! Braces tend to trap food against your teeth, which can lead to bad breath, plaque build-up, cavities, and discoloration on your teeth. After all the time, money and effort you’re putting into improving your smile, letting your teeth discolor, form cavities or get gingivitis is just out of the question. If you think you might be having trouble keeping your teeth and braces clean we have some pro-level tips to help you keep your braces clean, your smile bright and your breath fresh.
To ensure that you are taking the best care of your teeth while wearing braces, here is the ultimate guide to brushing and flossing, so that you can brush and floss “Like a Boss!”
Brushing Like a Boss:
- Brush at least twice a day, morning and night or even better, after each meal for even better results.
- Before you brush you should always begin by rinsing your mouth with warm water to remove any stray food particles that were lodged in your braces.
- For two minutes, brush your teeth with a small amount of toothpaste and brush in a circular, vibrating motion around your braces, teeth, and gum line.
Flossing Like a Boss:
- Use waxed floss to prevent it from getting stuck in your braces and shredding.
- Thread the floss under the archwire between each tooth, then work it back and forth between the teeth and braces and then between the teeth and the gums as usual.
- Consider purchasing a floss threader to make flossing 10x easier!
Taking care of your teeth with braces can be a pain, but the better you care for them, the more comfortable and effective they will be. If you have any other questions on brushing and flossing with braces, make sure to contact Rollins & Petersen Orthodontics.